[coreboot] RCA RM4100 Build Tutorial

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Mar 12 22:36:44 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:24:05AM -0400, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
>>  - Are you sure the L2 cache is enabled? Check 'dmesg', IIRC this is not
>>    done for most Intel chipsets yet (?) Also, you can run x86info
>>    or cpuinfo for more info, I think.
>>
> CPU: After generic identify, caps: 0383f9ff 00000000 00000000 00000000
> 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
> CPU: L1 I cache: 16K, L1 D cache: 16K
> CPU: L2 cache: 256K

Hm, interesting. I wonder how this can work. Or maybe the kernel just
"knows" that this CPU should have 256KB cache, but didn't actually check
whether it's enabled? Or, well, maybe it's on by default and cannot be
disabled at all on this CPU? Need to check some datasheets.

Various Pentium II/III CPUs I tried on 440BX boards did not have their
L2 cache initialized when I last checked, so I'm surprised this seems
to work here...

>>  - How did you test the CDROM drive? Mounting something in Linux or
>>    booting from CDROM? If the latter, how (which FILO options etc)?
>>
> Mounting a disk in Linux

OK, please mention that in the status table.

>>  - Does the modem really work and how was that tested? Does it need
>>    special support in coreboot?
>>
> It is detected by the kernel ok, but I have not used it yet.

Ditto.

>>  - Is there really an onboard-CF slot on the board? Or did you test
>>    using an Cf-to-IDE adapter? Or both?
>>
> Yes there is an onboard CF slot. It is connected to the primary IDE
> controller. I did use a CF-to-IDE adapter, and that works fine.

OK.

>>  - How was IR tested? Which Linux tools? Any coreboot/superio changes
>>    required?
>>
> The IR is for the wireless keyboard, connected to COM2, as long as COM2
> is enabled it works fine. I have not tested it with lirc and a remote
> yet.

OK, fine. Please also mention that in the status table.

>>  - You marked 'PC Speaker' as N/A. Why? Try 'modprobe pcspkr' and then
>>    do some beeping, e.g. using the tool 'beep' (apt-get install beep).
>>    It should work, usually.
>>
> Even if there is no PC Speaker onboard?

Oh, so none at all? That cannot work then, of course. I assumed there is
a speaker, or at least a pin header where you can connect one.

>> Btw, can you post a full boot log (coreboot + Linux) here for reference?
>>
> Do you want me to send it to the list, or post it on the wiki??

To the list, just attach it to your next mail. You can then link to the
list archive in the wiki then, if you want.

Uwe.