[coreboot] m57sli FAN control

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Mon Mar 10 23:02:02 CET 2008

Hi Ronald,

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:16:40PM +0100, Ronald Hoogenboom wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 16:51 -0500, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> > All right, please find a revised patch attached that does not stop the CPU
> > fan.
> >
> I've tested your revised patch and it works on my V2 board too. I've
> removed the stuff (alarm limits, for which the interrupts are disabled
> anyway) that have nothing to do with fan regulation

OK, that's fine.

> and it works still
> (with and without the it87 module). It turns out that the zero degree
> voltage setting 0xec is actually a lot better than the 0xe5 my shipped
> bios put in. The 0x87 for the index 0x14 was just my mistake, 0xb7 is
> the correct value.
> I've changed the index 0x13 value to 0x75 to make both FAN1 and 3
> 'smart'-regulated.

Actually I'd like to do the same for FAN1,2 and 3. I think putting all three
fans under automatic control is the best fail-safe default. So maybe set 0x13
to 0x77 instead?

Should we also configure fan2 and 3 with all the pwm and start/stop values
like we do for fan1?

> I hope that is correct for your boards too, if it
> works fine, we don't need a different setting for V1 and V2 boards after
> all.
> Please find the revised-revised patch attached.

:) Yeah, it works fine on v1 and v2 for me. I think we can commit once we
bring the settings for fan2 and 3 in line with those for fan1, unless you
have an argument against doing that?

Thanks,
Ward.

--