[coreboot] VGA and Asus a8v-e_se

Jonathan Rogers jonathanrrogers at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 10:08:05 CET 2008

Rudolf Marek wrote:
>> Your instructions about both Powernow! and VGA BIOS were right on. I now
>> have my Ubuntu system running with both video and frequency scaling
>> after booting from coreboot. I have attached the output from "sudo lspci
>> -vvvxxx" after making the above changes and booting coreboot.
>
> Good. Please can you bit play with the peg_init?
>
> I think you can ommit:
>
>        /* Disable scrambling bit 6 to 1. */
>         pci_write_config8(dev, 0xc0, 0x43);
>
> and this part:
>
>         /* Retrain link. */
>         reg = pci_read_config8(dev, 0x50);
>         pci_write_config8(dev, 0x50, reg | 0x20);
>
>         reg = pci_read_config8(dev, 0x3e);
>         reg |= 0x40;            /* Bus reset. */
>         pci_write_config8(dev, 0x3e, reg);
>
>         reg = pci_read_config8(dev, 0x3e);
>         reg &= ~0x40;           /* Clear reset. */
>         pci_write_config8(dev, 0x3e, reg);
>
> Will it work afterwards?

I made these changes and VGA initialization works!

One thing that I didn't notice the first few times I booted with
coreboot is that the CPU fan speed control that Asus calls Q-fan doesn't
seem to be working. When I boot using the legacy Asus BIOS, the CPU fan
audibly slows down a few seconds after starting. Whenever the CPU is
idle, the sensors command shows the CPU fan at about 1800 RPM. However,
 after booting coreboot, the fan stays at full blast. The sensors
command shows that the CPU fan is running at about 2500 RPM continuously.

I see that the Wiki page
<URL:http://www.coreboot.org/ASUS_A8V-E_SE_Build_Tutorial> says that
Sensors / fan control is "OK", but I'm not sure if that means that the
motherboard's fan speed controller should be working or not. I also
tried to set up fan speed control using the LM-sensors package. Here's
the output from "sudo pwmconfig":

This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.

We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
after the program has completed.

Found the following devices:
   hwmon0/device is k8temp
   hwmon1/device is w83627ehf

Found the following PWM controls:
   hwmon1/device/pwm1
hwmon1/device/pwm1 stuck to 0
Failed to set hwmon1/device/pwm1 to full speed
Something's wrong, check your fans!

Thank you very much for your time and help, especially in light of your
busy schedule. I hope my experiments can help you and others who want to
run coreboot on this board.

Jonathan Rogers