[coreboot] Recent AMD chipsets

Niels Ole Salscheider niels_ole at salscheider-online.de
Sun Jun 22 12:47:19 CEST 2008

Hello,

> > are there any plans to port coreboot to a recent AMD chipset like 780G /
> > SB700? I would like to see coreboot running on the ASUS M3A-H/HDMI.
>
> The AMD 690/600 is in the works.

That sounds great and I think that it won't be to difficult to move to AMD
780G / SB700, will it?
Nevertheless, I cannot find any code for AMD 690 / SB600 in SVN - is it
already there?

I think that we need further information concerning irq routing (I think I
have to ask ASUS for it) as well as the southbridge (like the addresses
passed to pci_write_config32, right? I have to ask AMD for that).
Do I need further information?

> > I am not very experienced in low-level programming but I am willing to
> > learn and to spend some time to port coreboot to that chipset.
> > How far is the progress of coreboot v3? Is it a good idea to use that
> > version or is it better to use coreboot v2 and port it to v3 as soon as
> > it is stable?
>
> Start with V2, then it can be moved into V3.

What is the difference between v2 and v3 / will it be difficult to move it?

> > The flash chip on the ASUS M3A-H/HDMI is a SPI chip like the one that can
> > be found on the GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4. There is a second unused position,
> > too. Are there any limitations on the chips that can be used or can I use
> > any of the supported spi chips (like the MX25L3205)?
>
> Depends on the southbridge as far as how large the spi device may be.

The chip found on my mainboard is a MX25L8005 with 8MBit. Where can I buy a
MX25L8005 or a larger chip (in Germay)? I have found 8MBit and 16Mbit spi
chips on http://www.bios-fix.de (13,54€ + 2,21€) but I cannot find the
MX25L3205.

Kind regards

Ole