[coreboot] Bayou v0.3

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Fri Jun 20 00:49:13 CEST 2008

Greetings.  I am very happy to present to you the next version of the
proof-of-concept for Bayou, the Coreboot payload chooser. A good amount
of this version was re-written to support everybody's favorite feature:
chaining! :)

Let me get the usual URLS out the way.  Source and QEMU demo:

http://www.coreboot.org/~jcrouse/bayou_0.3.tar.gz
http://www.coreboot.org/~jcrouse/bayou-demo-20080619.rom

The default chain runs a password checker and then coreinfo.  If you
press escape before the timeout, you can run coreinfo directly from
the menu, or run the default chain.  If you exit from coreinfo in
the chain, you will go back to the menu automatically.

The "system password" is 'coreboot'.  My apologies to Uwe - I know he
has a better password payload, but he is busy right now, and I needed
to hack something together really quickly.  oh, and make sure you check
it all out in serial too.. :)

This is using the configuration scheme that I wrote up on the Bayou
wiki page:

http://www.coreboot.org/Bayou

The bayou_payload_table format allows us to support chains, menu items,
and menu items that turn into chains; basically the whole shooting match.

The downside is that this makes building the LAR somewhat more complex.
To help with that, I wrote a new utility I call pbuilder that uses an
XML file to define the payloads to be included and writes the LAR
and automatically inserts the payloads it needs.  I chose XML because
it fit well with the nested nature of the configuration table.
Time will tell if it will work well with buildrom or not.  I'll be
documenting all of this on the wiki in the coming days.

So there you go.  Comments welcome.  Our next step after this is to
start resolving the various SELF related feuds and start getting this
code checked in.

Jordan
--
Jordan Crouse