[coreboot] flashrom and list of computers

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Fri Jun 6 17:07:36 CEST 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

>> I do not thing that the myriad PC boards need that much support. A very interessting
>> target could the std. desktop PC deployed by companies (DELL,HP, etc ..)
>> That would open a whole new area: a desktop PC that boots linux instandly.
>>
>> Since journey starts with the first step and coreboot simply need a database about
>> deployed systems and there chipsets. To get many users as possible to submit data
>> a *simple* script is need that collect the informations and sends it directly to coreboot.org.
>>
>> Next question: who will write that script ?
>>

> I wrote such a script a few months ago and sent it to the list.

it should be available on coreboot.org/download or front page clearly visible !
it will clearly not help getting more people into
coreboot development but if you can add a chip that is used in 1000 desktops you
will certainly draw more attention than doing the same effort and reaching 10.
If it works than you can find that chip.
Even when you will never use the data collected by the script, so what ? it will waste only
a few more bytes on the coreboot.org server.

re,
 wh