[coreboot] flashrom and list of computers

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Jun 6 15:41:02 CEST 2008

On 06.06.2008 15:08, Ludwig Jaffe wrote:
> Lets rewrite / improve flashrom!

A rewrite is unneccessary. Improvements are welcome.

> I would like to see an universal function-pointer approach for the
> flash-dev handling, as I stated before in this mailing list.

We already have that.

> For detection of flash the flash-identification according to the
> manufacturers can be used, so all functionpointers for the
> detect-routines can be tried.

We already do that.

> To detect the mainboard I would additionally suggest looking for strings
> in the bios (if original-bios is used).

Sorry, that will not work reliably. We have some known false positives
and some known false negatives.

> For Coreboot, I would suggest to
> have a short text with manufacturer, board model, chipset, cpu so string
> search can find something.

We already have strings with board manufacturer+model. Chipset and CPU
strings do not make sense.

> Not to fall over all garbage the string search has to be filtered with
> known names as compaq, hp, ibm, asus, phoenix, award, and the like.
>
> Using DMI is better for newer boards having DMI.

Sorry, that will not work reliably. We have some known false positives
and some known false negatives.

> So one can build different strategies for identifiing the mainboard. And
> use a functionpointer approach to do special tasks for the boards
> e.g. switching the bios to flash (some boards have a 2 bios-sockets)

We already do that.

> e.g. unprotecting the boot-block.  (e.g. my compaq SFF PC needs P34
> soldered in and closed.) So an appropriate text has to be printed, if the
> board can not automagically disable write-protection etc.
> e.g. do other fancy stuff like unlocking the case.

We already can do that if anyone commits a text message.

> Who is in charge for flashboot?

Do you mean flashrom? If so, your patches can be reviewed by the list.

> We should organize and manage the change-requests for that little piece
> of soft.

Please post patches. We can discuss them.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel