[coreboot] SMM handling and resident coreboot

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Tue Jul 29 23:06:01 CEST 2008

Peter Stuge schrieb:
>> try to avoid it
>>
> Why pretend? For business interests, SMM and ACPI are strict and hard
> requirements because they are currently the single way to accomplish
> certain things. Anything less is just not good enough. I wouldn't
> expect the industry to take interest in developing new PC boot
> architecture. When we have something else that works, there may be
> interest, but I think we're on our own getting there.

There might be cases where some BIOS vendor considered using SMI as the
silver bullet, where other methods might be just as reasonable. No idea,
maybe they use SMI from ACPI instead of doing things in ACPI directly
because SMI is more suitable to "protect intellectual property" (given
that ACPI tables _must_ be publically readable, by the OS). We don't
have such design limitations, so we can avoid SMI in cases where the
others might consider it.

Patrick Georgi