[coreboot] SeaBIOS debug output

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Fri Jul 25 02:07:26 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 08:22:40AM -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
>
> > The OS can initialize the second head too.  I don't think we need to
> > initialize it in the boot phase.
>
> Really? Which OS?
>
> I.e. what assumptions are you making when you say "OS"? Linux?

Hi Ron,

It is my understanding that a COTS bios will only initialize the first
VGA card.  I know multiple vga cards work on at least Windows and
Linux.  I therefore concluded that these OSes can initialize secondary
vga cards (at least with the proper drivers installed).

If I've missed something, please let me know.

In particular, if there is evidence that a COTS bios will swap option
roms then I'll treat it as a requirement for seabios (and/or
coreboot).  However, I'm not interested in trying to make option rom
processing "better" than a COTS bios - I think the whole option rom
thing is a disaster - we do it for compatibility, not as a feature.

-Kevin