[coreboot] [patch][v2] AMD Fam10 rev B3 microcode patches

Marc Jones Marc.Jones at amd.com
Tue Jul 22 19:56:14 CEST 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> + (c) Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., 2004-2008
>> +
>> + The  enclosed microcode  is intended  to be  used  with AMD
>> + Microprocessors.  You  may   copy,  view  and  install  the
>> + enclosed microcode  only for development  and deployment of
>> + firmware,  BIOS,  or  operating  system code  for  computer
>> + systems   that  contain  AMD   processors.   You   are  not
>> + authorized  to use  the  enclosed microcode  for any  other
>> + purpose.
>>

> I trust that AMD is not going to hunt us down if we check out the
> complete svn tree (copy) with the intent to develop for non-AMD systems.
> Still, the legalese feels a bit weird.

You bring this up every time I update microcode patches. This has been
worked out in the past. The statement seems very straight forward to me
(but I am not a lawyer).

>> +/* From the Revision Guide :
>> + * Equivalent Processor Table for AMD Family 10h Processors
>> + *
>> + * Installed Processor   Equivalent Processor   Patch Level
>> + * Revision ID           Revision ID
>> + * 00100F00h             1000h                  01000020h
>> + * 00100F01h             1000h                  01000020h
>> + * 00100F02h             1000h                  01000020h
>> + * 00100F20h             1020h                  01000084h
>> + * 00100F21h             1020h                  01000084h
>> + * 00100F2Ah             1020h                  01000084h
>> + * 00100F22h             1022h                  01000083h
>> + * 00100F23h             1022h                  01000083h
>>

> AFAICS it could happen that different "Equivalent Processor IDs" have
> the same patch level. Naming the microcode files only after the patch
> level would cause all sorts of interesting conflicts in that case.
> How about a naming scheme like
> mc_patch_$EQUIVALENTREVISION_$PATCHLEVEL.h

I don't see your point. The code already handles equivalent processor
ids. I put the table in so you didn't have to read the revision guide to
understand what is going on. What you suggest only makes it more
difficult if different equivalent ids have the same patch level.

	#include "mc_patch_01000065.h"
>> +	/* Barcelona rev B2, B3 */
>> +		#include "mc_patch_01000083.h"
>>

> This looks like manual source code editing is required to support
> Barcelona processors before B2. May I suggest a Kconfig variable for that?

Yes, it is manual editing so I will add a config option to v2. A Kconfig
variable would be great when you port it to v3. :)

Marc

--
Marc Jones
Senior Firmware Engineer