[coreboot] Minimal seabios for coreboot

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Tue Jul 22 16:13:17 CEST 2008

On 21/07/08 23:09 -0400, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> If there is interest in doing this, we'll need to figure out how to
> work out the interactions.  Zhang Rui is currently working on having
> seabios return to coreboot.  As for code integration - I'd like to
> avoid forking the seabios code.  Perhaps it would be okay to simply
> copy a seabios binary into the svn repo with directions on how to
> build it manually.  (This is what qemu and bochs do for their bios
> blobs.)

buildrom can handle the effort to build it and install it if needed.
The whole concern about separate payloads goes away for v3 - since
technically, the whole thing is separate payloads.  But for V2, I don't
think there is a problem with building the blob and inserting it into
the final coreboot build.

For its part, SeaBIOS could have a --build-minimal-coreboot mode
(or whatever), so it would all be easy to build and integrate with a
minimum of effort.  I can think of a few logistical concerns:

buildrom probably would need a seabios-coreboot target as well as
seabios-as-payload target, and we would need to figure out how to
configure both buildrom and coreboot to not build or use the minimal
seabios if seabios is a payload.

Not insurmountable issues, but stuff to think about.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer