[coreboot] branching flashrom?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Mon Jul 21 16:25:09 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 01:49:04PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Completely forking the codebase into separate projects is something I'd
> like to avoid because we already have too few development resources.

Full ack.

> Suggestion: After 1.0, we create
> - a development branch where people can go wild with rewriting stuff
> - a stable branch with incremental changes where breakage is not allowed.

Nah, overkill and not really useful IMO.

> I personally believe more in the incremental approach with minimal changes.

Ack. No patch should ever break the build or runtime-behaviour of
flashrom. That doesn't mean we can't do radical changes, such changes
just have to be done in a manner which doesn't break flashrom, either
in small incremental steps or in bigger patch-series which do all
changes at once. But we don't need (or want, IMO) branches for either...

Uwe.