[coreboot] SeaBIOS debug output

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Jul 17 01:04:21 CEST 2008

On 11.07.2008 20:51, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 07:58:35PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> Can seabios somehow complement x86emu as a way to let certain
>> problematic VBIOS images run?
>>

> If you mean run seabios under x86emu - I'm not sure.  Seabios
> currently does its initialization in 32bit mode which x86emu may not
> like.

Well, IIRC x86emu does not only emulate x86 instructions, but also calls
to 16bit BIOS. I'd like to rip the BIOS emulation code out of x86emu and
use SeaBIOS for that.

> If you mean using seabios to implement the option rom scan - then yes,
> I think this is what Stefan suggested and Zhang Rui is working on.  If
> I understand correctly, they want to load the seabios blob into ram,
> have seabios do its init, run the option roms, and then jump back to
> coreboot for the rest of the boot.  Presumably, coreboot would also
> use seabios to boot the machine if the user wanted that.

That would be another alternative.

> The thing to be careful of here is making sure coreboot and seabios
> don't stomp on each other.  This may not be such a big deal - seabios
> doesn't currently write to any ram above 1MiB - if coreboot didn't
> write to any ram below 1MiB after launching seabios then maybe it
> would work.

Actually, I'm not afraid that SeaBIOS will stomp on coreboot, but I'm
very afraid the option ROMs will do so.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--