[coreboot] freedos on OLPC - question

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Mon Jul 14 20:13:42 CEST 2008

Hi Guylhem,

I'm CC'ing the coreboot mailing list as they seem to know a bit about
OLPC and I know very little.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:01:21PM -0400, Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> Hello
>
> I saw you where porting Boch bios to Gcc, and you had an active
> repository on http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=kevin/legacybios.git
>
> What is the status ? It seems very active. Is it in alpha state ?

It's active now, but I am still pretty much the only code contributor.
(Though, I welcome any additional contributors.)  There has been a
name change - I now call it "SeaBIOS".

I'd say it is in a near release state for use with emulators (qemu or
bochs).

It's in an early beta stage for use on real hardware (with coreboot).
I am able to boot my via epia-m with coreboot+seabios and run
freedos.

> I would like to know in order to try to run Freedos on the OLPC
> (www.laptop.org) for some legacy applications that could be usefull
> for children in Brasil.
>
> I have an OLPC, and I can do some C, so I may give a hand if you could
> point me to documentation.
> If Freedos could somehow work reliably enough, I would be happy to
> test and package it for the OLPC.

I'm not sure if you're looking to run natively or via an emulator.  If
you're looking to run natively then I imagine it may require some
effort to get it up and running.  If you're looking to run via an
emulator, then it should just work.

Hope this helps,
-Kevin