[coreboot] v3 activity: all-time low

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Tue Jul 8 17:44:13 CEST 2008

On 08/07/08 08:21 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> I would be willing to bet that a lot of that patch activity was me,
> and I've been pulled away to other things. We need more people
> involved. It is true that the path of least resistance is v2 -- it's
> here and it works. But we need people to take the hard path and get on
> v3. I can tell you, that once you get going on it, you won't want to
> go back. v3 is really nice.
>
> I guess v2 works too well :-)

Here's the problem.  Based on the number of email and IRC requests,
it is clear that RS690/SB600 code is in great demand.   And right
behind that we hear clamoring for RS780/SB700 and Barcelona B3.
We currently have two choices - we can go for V3, which would give
us big style points but our fans will probably be disappointed while
we spend the time to iron out the wrinkles.  Or we can go for V2 and
run the risk of continuing to prop up the legacy code.  Our hope is
that eventually v3 will catch up with us, and we can seamlessly switch
to v3 for some future chipset or processor.

Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to do both, and you will forgive
us if we go the path of least resistance for our customers.  I think that
most every other commercial vendor in this project faces the same
dilemma.  The solution is to recruit a new generation of developers who
are willing to take the time and effort of moving our primary processors
and chipsets to v3 and stabilizing it to the point where the customers
can reliably move.  This has already happened for the most part for
the Geode LX with positive results.  Once we solve the few remaining warts,
then there would be no reason to use V2 for LX.

Speaking strictly for myself, I do think that v3 is the way to go, and we
look forward to when we can recommend it to our customers.  But we just
can't justify the extra time and effort at this point, and judging from
the emails asking for SB600 code, neither can you.

Jordan

PS: And I apologize personally for doing more to damage v3 and LAR then
any other three developers - I mean well, I promise! :)

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer