[coreboot] USB debug cables and emulation

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Thu Jul 3 14:45:15 CEST 2008

>>> Here's an old USB Debug Port presentation that may be useful to
>>> those new to the concept:
>>>
>>> http://www.usb.org/developers/presentations/pres0602/john_keys.pdf
>>>
>>> Is the NET20DC really the only USB Debug Device available?  I tried
>>> searching for others, but didn't find any.
>>>

>> I think the design might become easier if you just create the debug
>> part of the device and use the serial side of a plain usbserial
>> device as direct interface.

> Actually I suggested something along those lines already in the wiki
> page. :)

Well it looks like in the pdf presentation above they have a Serial->USB
debugger. It looks like a development board though because there are a
bunch of unnecessary stuff on it. I'm thinking a Serial->USB debugger is
the way to go to keep the costs down, and it gives the terminal PC (serial
end) more flexability. If one wanted to have it USB on both ends they could
always use a USB->Serial adapter for the terminal PC (serial end). Also,
this way there would be no need for any kind of a special driver for
windows/linux, it would just show up as a serial communications device. Any
suggestions, questions, comments?

--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith