[coreboot] For Help of Flashrom Usage

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Jul 2 05:25:42 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 06:23:38PM +0800, HongGang.Ma at venture.com.sg wrote:
> We are using flashrom to flash BIOS in Linux. But it can only
> successfully read flash and save into file, can not write ROM file
> into flash.
>
> Error information --- Segmentation fault.

There is a known bug in flashrom. Sometimes it will incorrectly
identify the ROM file that should be written as a coreboot ROM file,
and in that case some data from the ROM file will be used incorrectly
and typically cause flashrom to crash with a Segmentation fault.

> Could you please provide us some comments or proposals on the problem?

To confirm that you are also encountering the known bug, you can try
running: flashrom -wv myBIOS.rom -V

If you see a message similar to this:

coreboot last image size (not ROM size) is 1234 bytes.

Where 1234 is some nonsense number, it is indeed the known bug.

You can disable the heuristic that is used to identify coreboot ROM
files by applying the attached patch or changing layout.c manually.
Please let us know if it works for you.

Thank you for your interest in flashrom! :)

//Peter