[coreboot] [patch] 'dist' target for 'flashrom' Makefile

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Jan 26 01:06:54 CET 2008

On 25.01.2008 20:24, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 07:21:16PM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>
>>> These are very good for distributions. Not all distributions can
>>> deal with svn HEAD and few do it well IMO.
>>>
>> What would be the problem with a version "r3065"? I doubt any
>> distributions would have a problem with that.
>>

> Yeah, fixed svn rev versions can work like any other versions.
> I would drop r though, at least Gentoo has a problem with non-numeric
> versions. (Yes, that sucks.)

Hm yes. Just in case we ever move flashrom to another SVN repository or
to another RCS altogether, having a version number as prefix solves the
classic upgrade issues.
So my suggestion is something like
version 0.1.3065
with the svn revision as last part of the version. In case we ever start
fresh, we just have to increment the version prefix. We could do that
anyway, for example if a new chip/bus type is added.

>>> For the longer term I'd like a config file for flashrom that is
>>> all that ever really changes unless a new bus comes along.
>>>
>> ie. describing all the flash chips? I agree.
>>

> Not just flash, but also how to reach them. I expect other superios
> to require different tricks than IT8716, so once we have a few more
> SPI boards we'll also want to teach flashrom which mainboard uses
> which superio. (By re-using information from coreboot.) Ideally
> flashrom would then work out whatever it needs to go through the
> needed hardware on it's own.

Still, for board specific enable routines you either write the enable
routines in some script language, thereby degrading flashrom to a
parser, or you tell people to upgrade.

I'd like to unconditionally enable the SPI-behind-SuperIO probing, though.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel