[coreboot] [patch] 'dist' target for 'flashrom' Makefile

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Jan 25 20:24:15 CET 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 07:21:16PM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> >These are very good for distributions. Not all distributions can
> >deal with svn HEAD and few do it well IMO.
>
> What would be the problem with a version "r3065"? I doubt any
> distributions would have a problem with that.

Yeah, fixed svn rev versions can work like any other versions.
I would drop r though, at least Gentoo has a problem with non-numeric
versions. (Yes, that sucks.)

> >>but maybe one tarball per svn revision
> >
> >Would definately be a good thing!
>
> These can be generated using viewvc. I don't want to create
> another binary graveyard for millions of 0s and 1s ;-)
>
> I am even thinking of getting rid of the tarballs, replacing them
> by viewvc links. The reason I did not is that viewvc does not honor
> the +x bit of files in the repo, so the tree migh

Hm - causing a problem for directories, or where?

> >For the longer term I'd like a config file for flashrom that is
> >all that ever really changes unless a new bus comes along.
>
> ie. describing all the flash chips? I agree.

Not just flash, but also how to reach them. I expect other superios
to require different tricks than IT8716, so once we have a few more
SPI boards we'll also want to teach flashrom which mainboard uses
which superio. (By re-using information from coreboot.) Ideally
flashrom would then work out whatever it needs to go through the
needed hardware on it's own.

This code might even come back into coreboot - for panic room
flashing.

//Peter