[coreboot] progress on lx

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 22 16:19:11 CET 2008

On 19.01.2008 07:35, ron minnich wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2008 4:27 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>> Is this same situation as before or is it worse? If it is worse, please
>> try to fix before you commit.
>>

> The fix is going to be a bit harder, so I am committing this now.
>
> Committed revision 557.
>
> One thing to add. I am probably going to make one more change to the
> id property in the dts.
>
> Right now we have stuff like:
> pciid = "somevendorname, somedevicename";
>
> I am thinking of something like this:
> id="pci,somevendorname,somedevicename";

Makes sense if the coreboot code itself does not have to perform any
string parsing.

> Further, in the dtc makefile I would like to preprocess pci_ids.h to
> produce arrays of char * with a list of vendor and device names. Then
> the  dtc tool can do the following:
> check the path type (pci). Check that it has the proper arguments
> (device, path). Then check the vendor name and device name to make
> sure they are valid for that path type.

I'm undecided about this one. It adds complexity, but the complexity
helps verification of the code.

> In this way, the dtc can do some parsing of the id's and tell the user
> immediately if there is a problem with the names, rather than having
> to wait for a full compile step and a hard-to-trace gcc diagnostic.

Easier debugging and porting was always one of my goals for v3, but I
fear the code may become unreadable by the added parsing.

Post a patch and we'll see.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel