[coreboot] [LinuxBIOS] Please add support for MX25L8005 and MX25L3205D

Harald Gutmann harald.gutmann at gmx.net
Tue Jan 22 12:00:17 CET 2008

Am Dienstag, 22. Januar 2008 00:48:30 schrieben Sie:
> On 21.01.2008 17:15, Harald Gutmann wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > As in the thread "Re: [coreboot] SST25VF016B (2MB) flash on m57sli
> > (IT8716F)" there was added support for writing/reading lager SPI chips
> > than 512kB i had a look on the current flashrom code, in svn revision
> > 3067.
> >
> > I recogniced that the MX25L8005 calls the same function than the
> > SST25VF016B in the flashchips.c file. The function called there are
> > generic_spi_chip_erase_c7, generic_spi_chip_write and
> > generic_spi_chip_read. The write function is in spi.c, and checks if the
> > total_size is bigger than 512kB, as result of that check the
> > it8716f_over512k_spi_chip_write should be called to write the chip. The
> > SST25VF016B can be programmed/verified/erased but not the MX25L8005.
>
> Probably either the chip does not support BYTE-PROGRAM or we have a
> timing issue.
> I checked the datasheet and the MX25L8005 indeed has a PAGE-PROGRAM
> mode, but it can be abused for BYTE-PROGRAM.
>
> > Writing random data to the chip results in a failed verify. Erasing the
> > chip seems to work.
> > Here is the file which i wrote to the chip, and the file which i get as
> > result when trying to read the chip. (looks quite strange in hexdump,
> > there are many FF lines in the read file.)
> > http://rapidshare.com/files/85450682/read_write_diff-r3067.tar.gz.html
>
> This is a timing issue with ~95% probability. Simply look at the
> readback result. Will send a patch.
I got the patch, and tested it. It seems to work like ron said!
More in the SST thread.

> > I also wondered if the mx25l4005.c file is needed any more, because the
> > functions in there aren't called anywhere.
>
> Hm. Are you sure this file exists in the official tree? I can't find it.
Oh, seems that you're right, i trusted in svn diff/revert, and svn diff didn't
mention any differenceses between my version and the actual repository, but
it's like you said, that this file isn't existing in the official tree.

> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel
regards, Harald