[coreboot] [LinuxBIOS] Please add support for MX25L8005 and MX25L3205D

Harald Gutmann harald.gutmann at gmx.net
Mon Jan 21 17:15:24 CET 2008

Hello!

As in the thread "Re: [coreboot] SST25VF016B (2MB) flash on m57sli (IT8716F)"
there was added support for writing/reading lager SPI chips than 512kB i had
a look on the current flashrom code, in svn revision 3067.

I recogniced that the MX25L8005 calls the same function than the SST25VF016B
in the flashchips.c file. The function called there are
generic_spi_chip_erase_c7, generic_spi_chip_write and generic_spi_chip_read.
The write function is in spi.c, and checks if the total_size is bigger than
512kB, as result of that check the it8716f_over512k_spi_chip_write should be
called to write the chip. The SST25VF016B can be programmed/verified/erased
but not the MX25L8005.
Writing random data to the chip results in a failed verify. Erasing the chip
seems to work.
Here is the file which i wrote to the chip, and the file which i get as result
when trying to read the chip. (looks quite strange in hexdump, there are many
FF lines in the read file.)
http://rapidshare.com/files/85450682/read_write_diff-r3067.tar.gz.html

I also wondered if the mx25l4005.c file is needed any more, because the
functions in there aren't called anywhere.

kind regards,
Harald