[coreboot] SST25VF016B (2MB) flash on m57sli (IT8716F).

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Jan 19 23:35:26 CET 2008

On 18.01.2008 23:10, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:34:29PM -0500, Ward Vandewege wrote:
>
>>> Winbond W25X16VSSI
>>> Winbond W25X32VSSI
>>>
>>> Problem with Winbond is they really only want to sell large
>>> quantities. I haven't even gotten a quote and delivery time
>>> back from my sales rep on a request I made in November.
>>>

> What about
>
>   Winbond W25X80VSSIG
>
> ? That's an 8Mbit chip which is avaible in small quantities.

Ronald Hoogenboom wrote that IT8716F startup clocks SPI at 16 MHz, so
almost any SPI chip should work. We just have to make sure we don't
accidentially change the speed of the IT8716F (which will happen if you
simply run flashrom).

So it is a case of "should work" for slower flash chips right now.
Changing that to "will work even if flashrom is invoked" requires some
flashrom surgery.

For the Winbond W25X80VSSIG everything should work fine. It is fast enough.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel