[LinuxBIOS] Messing with CAR in a big way

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Jan 12 01:33:25 CET 2008

On 12.01.2008 01:18, Rudolf Marek wrote:
> Imho you must copy the data from CAR, because when it is OFF, no
> writeback is
> done to memory: (from BKDG)
>
> Temporary data stored in the cache during boot cannot be written back
> to DRAM
> after enabling the
> DRAM controller using a CLFLUSH or WBINVB instruction. The cache should be
> invalidated after the DRAM controller is initialized with an INVD
> instruction.

OK, then we simply copy the whole CAR area to some backup memory
location, disable CAR, then INVD and copy everything back to the
original location. That way, moving the stack with all of its nasty side
effects will not happen.

> The later is imho not done in LB I think. Maybe needs fix?

I have to reread the v2 code. Almost all BIOS code I write nowadays is
either for code shared between v2 and v3 or for v3 only.

> Btw please design it to be suspend-to-ram friendly ;)

Will do. Is there any specific part of the source that lists your
requirements for suspend-to-RAM? IIRC resume-from-RAM enables CAR, gets
RAM out of self-refresh, then jumps back to the OS. Writing to arbitrary
RAM locations has to be avoided with suspend-to-RAM.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel