[LinuxBIOS] RESEND: patch: fix the problem with CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA not pulling in the emulator

Torsten Duwe duwe at lst.de
Fri Jan 4 00:49:26 CET 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008, ron minnich wrote:

> There's a harder problem. What if we're on a a system with a unichrome
> and, for whatever reason, somebody drops in a different graphics card
> and wants that to be the console? Of the set of devices that *could*
> be the console, which one *should* be the console?
>
> For this latter case, in which there is a native non-option-ROM VGA
> device and a VGA device with an option ROM, you are going to need to
> leave the emulator in [...]

True. Even those Epia-boards have a slot. Luc, or anyone else, have a board
with VGA and totally without PCI, AGP or the like? Or is this a ROM space
issue?

My main concern is that console on VGA and ROM emulators are orthogonal, and
one should not pull in the other, for design reasons. But if there is no
hardware, I'll be quiet.

	Torsten