[LinuxBIOS] [Patch] Fix CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA handling in default pci_dev_init.

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Thu Jan 3 08:38:08 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 09:41:18PM -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> This patch fixes the problem. It's not elegant but v2 is on the path
> to obsolescence and I
> would rather not do something more complex.
>
> Comments welcome. Luc, thanks for raising this issue.
>
> ron

Grep the tree. Find out where CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN is used. Find out where
CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA is used. Find out where vga_inited is used. Find out
that my patch was actually rather trivial, and that there really is
nothing to be afraid of.

Needlessly including the pci_rom and emulator code is rather bad.
Especially when i am working hard to not include a 64kB vga bios and
instead limit the size for equal functionality to several kB.

As for complexity, i am looking at a +4400 -1000 diff for native
unichrome already.

How useful is linuxbiosv3 at this point? Can it be used to boot
something as well-known as the epia-m already?

I really do not see what you continue to keep having against this
trivial and rather sane fix.

Luc Verhaegen.