[LinuxBIOS] flashrom on the host or target ?

Phani Babu Giddi phanig at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 05:36:38 CET 2008

Hello All,

I am trying to understand how to access the flash chip on the mainboard for
the very first time. Most of the documentation on Linux BIOS talks about
using "flashrom" but I am confused, are we suppose to use this on the target
( mainboard) or host. If its host are is there a way one can access the
flash disk from the host, I have looked into the Hardware Tools that have
been suggested for Linux BIOS but I could not find anything related to this.
If flashrom utility is supposed to be used on the target, then how is that
possible because there is no image on the flash device.

BIOS Saviour and other tools come into picuture if there is some thing
already on the flash chip.

So am I suppose to select the payload as etherboot and then try flashing the
device for the first time. Or else I am suppose to use an external
programmer for this.

If we succeed in getting the BIOS with the payload into the flash device
what about the root file system and partitions and any other info. The
question might sound elementary to most of you but I would appreciate your
help.

To summarize the question is about getting bare bones board up and running
for the very first time.

Regards,
Phani