[coreboot] Fan settings testing procedure

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Tue Feb 26 14:44:51 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:47:34AM +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > Temporarily disable the fan control patch from this morning; it turns out to
> > stop the CPU fan on the m57sli v1.1 (PLCC) entirely, which is less than
> > desirable. I did not notice before because my board ran fine for about 15
> > minutes before the CPU overheated.
>
> The disaster mentioned above shall never repeat. We need a testing
> procedure which ensures that a board does not overheat.

Quite.

> Mprime (Linux variant of Prime95) should be a nice CPU head generator.
> Together with reading out the K8 internal temperature every 20 seconds,
> running Mprime for half an hour should definitely detect CPU overheating
> problems.

Actually I was using burnK7 (from the cpuburn package) in combination with
sensors (from the lm-sensors package), and that worked great to produce load
on the CPU.

In this particular case, I ran burnK7 for 5 minutes or so, saw with sensors
that the fans *were* behaving correctly (and did a visual inspection too). It
was not until the next reboot, with a new coreboot image (different payload),
that things went south and the CPU fan stopped shortly after boot.

I'm not sure yet why it only failed on the second boot; the new fan code
seems to write only absolute values to the registers.

I'll debug further when I'm next at the office, on Friday.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>