[coreboot] Fan settings testing procedure

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Feb 26 10:47:34 CET 2008

Hi,

On 26.02.2008 05:36, svn at coreboot.org wrote:
> Author: ward
> New Revision: 3118
>
> Log:
> Temporarily disable the fan control patch from this morning; it turns out to
> stop the CPU fan on the m57sli v1.1 (PLCC) entirely, which is less than
> desirable. I did not notice before because my board ran fine for about 15
> minutes before the CPU overheated.

The disaster mentioned above shall never repeat. We need a testing
procedure which ensures that a board does not overheat.

Mprime (Linux variant of Prime95) should be a nice CPU head generator.
Together with reading out the K8 internal temperature every 20 seconds,
running Mprime for half an hour should definitely detect CPU overheating
problems.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--