[coreboot] [RFC] port bochs-bios to gcc

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Feb 25 11:03:57 CET 2008

On 25.02.2008 10:44, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> I do believe we should merge what we call ADLO as another loader into
> v3. Augusto Pedroza wrote a patch for that for GSoC iirc.
>
> Just like we have ELF loading and lar segment loading and VSA loading
> now.
>
> Maybe we could even use the VSA loader to run bochs bios, instead of
> ADLO? It's all 16bit lumber ;)
>
> Then using BIOS compatibility would just mean putting a bochsbios.bin
> into the lar.
>
> ADLO is so fragile because it was written in assembler (so no stack is
> needed?!?), reimplementing all the things we have in coreboot in C. So
> recognizing that it just another loader would simplify and stabilize
> things quite a bit.
>
> Someone might say we can do this with libpayload or by adding a lot of
> chipset specific code to ADLO and rewrite it from scratch. Then we're
> at 2500 lines of code instead of 25 and we have a nasty multi-staging.

There is another possibility: Use the recently published official
documents about the data expected by NTLDR and successors. While this
does not help the *BSD use of ADLO, the Windows use of it could be
scrapped and we'd probably end up with a lot less code than what ADLO is
now.

Comments?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel