[coreboot] VMware reality check

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Feb 22 23:59:02 CET 2008

On 22.02.2008 18:27, Myles Watson wrote:
> I decided to look into using VMware for coreboot development, but even
> though we support the same chipset (i440bx), since VMware doesn't emulate
> the CPU you can end up with an Opteron on i440bx, or a laptop processor with
> i440bx, etc.
>
> Has anyone run into this?  Is there a reasonable way to make this work?  Do
> you really have to configure coreboot for VMware based on which CPU the host
> has?

I'd say stop the project before you get too frustrated. It simply
doesn't make sense. Basically, any combination of incompatible CPU and
chipset makes testing useless/impossible, so having the host CPU appear
with identical/similar characteristics in the virtual machine makes the
virtualization solution a no-go. You could try VirtualBox and VirtualPC,
but I believe they both have similar problems.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/