[coreboot] [RFC] port bochs-bios to gcc

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Feb 22 23:27:08 CET 2008

On 22.02.2008 22:02, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:46:11PM +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> this is a great project and I hope you succeed making the Bochs BIOS code
>> more easily extensible/changeable. Please note that a substantial part of
>> the code should be obsolete when run with coreboot.
>>

> I'm not aware of much overlap.  As I understand it, coreboot mostly
> deals with low-level hardware initialization.  The bochs-bios was
> designed to be used in an emulator and thus doesn't really bother with
> hardware initialization.
>
> Most of what is in the bochs-bios deals with implementing the legacy
> bios software interrupts, building of the memory bios tables, and
>
> Am I missing something?

I think I saw code to initialize the keyboard controller inside
rombios.c. Such code would not be needed under coreboot.
Also code building memory BIOS tables is partly in coreboot and partly
in some payloads, so there may be more overlap.

The most ideal course of action would be to fit coreboot v3 and your
ADLO effort together. The design of v3 is still flexible and maybe we
can stuff a payload library in v3 which has functionality like
generation of e820 tables etc. That would save payload authors from
duplicating code needlessly.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--