[coreboot] IDE cable select question

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Fri Feb 22 18:15:11 CET 2008

Quoting ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 8:15 AM,  <joe at smittys.pointclark.net> wrote:
>
>>  For coreboot to automate this it would have to a IDENTIFY_DRIVE
>>  command query to the drive and then set IDE pci configuration
>>  register. Would this be possible to do pre payload or is this
>>  something that would have to be set manually. If manual could we
>>  impliment a global setting??
>
> I hate to say this, but I think we need to do this in the code for
> that chip. Whicdh chipset is this again?
>
> ron

It is the Intel 82801DB ICH4 chipset. I think most of the ICH's are
the same on this. So are you saying this can be set in filo, or
coreboot?

IDE_CONFIG?IDE I/O Configuration Register(IDE?D31:F1)
Address Offset: 54h Attribute: R/W
Default Value: 00h Size: 32 bits

Bit 7 Secondary Slave Channel Cable Reporting ? R/W. BIOS should
program this bit to tell the IDE
driver which cable is plugged into the channel.
0 = 40 conductor cable is present.
1 = 80 conductor cable is present.
Bit 6 Secondary Master Channel Cable Reporting ? R/W. Same description
as bit 7
Bit 5 Primary Slave Channel Cable Reporting ? R/W. Same description as bit 7
Bit 4 Primary Master Channel Cable Reporting ? R/W. Same description as bit 7

Thanks - Joe