[coreboot] thincan serial support

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Thu Feb 21 18:32:19 CET 2008

Quoting Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:36 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I need to do ttl to rs232 for the thincan. I am thinking of a cook
>> book procedure so others can do this easily.
>>
>> The first ingredient is this: http://www.superdroidrobots.com/rs232.htm
>>
>> Anyone have a better choice? I like this as it comes with schematics
>> and howto. From here I should be able
>> to do a simple "howto" writeup.
>>
>> CS5536 doesn't have USB debug port support :-(, so this is the best
>> choice. We're going to need a Kconfig
>> option on v3 for enabling serial over DDC on boards using cs5536.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> ron
>

> Siemens C55 has an lvttl interface. Most of the usb data cables on ebay (for
> $0.99) are prolific pl2023-based. It involves a little more work, but it's a
> heck of alot cheaper.
>
> -Corey

Yeh, we have to use a LVTTL to RS-232 level translator on the RCA
RM4100. Like Corey said I use a Siemens C55 serial cell phone cable
and it works great!
here is a pic:

http://www.smittys.pointclark.net/rm4100/album_pic.php?pic_id=24

I have other people in my group that use other cell cables USB and
even palm cradles. If you want to make one here is a simple way to do
it:

http://nil.rpc1.org/psp/files/PSP%20Serial%20Converter.pdf

Thanks - Joe