[coreboot] LAR TODO

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Wed Feb 20 20:17:57 CET 2008

Am Dienstag, den 19.02.2008, 16:48 +0100 schrieb Patrick Georgi:
> How about doing segments per file (like right now), and simply
> prepending their data "section" with the load address (as they already
> get special treatment anyway).
Follow up to this issue: the first bytes would also be compressed
(otherwise we have a special case again).

Currently the decoding routines only decode a whole file, but at least
lzma is capable of stopping after a given number of output bytes. The
only remaining issue is that the actual starting position for the
decode is then 4 bytes below the intended loading position.

Just decoding the first 4 bytes into some scratch space probably won't
work (easily) because the lz-family uses decompressed data as
dictionary space..

This could be solved by ordering the segments by the lar tool to be
highest-start-address-first, but this detail would have to be
documented in a way that no-one will ever stumble over "weird 4 byte
memory corruption" without quickly figuring out what's going on.

Comments?

Patrick Georgi