[coreboot] v3 patch rm elfboot

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Feb 18 18:37:32 CET 2008

On 18.02.2008 18:19, ron minnich wrote:
> I dropped this idea on Stefan and he tells me I am not insane. I even
> did it BEFORE coffee :-)
>
> Could a LAR contain more LAR files? i.e. could LAR be recursive.

Please don't! See the end of the mail for my reasons.

> The recursive nature of LAR files could be trivially mirrored in the code.
>
> So, we could have this:
> normal/payload.lar
>
> then, the payload would BE a LAR, and to move it to another LAR,
> lar -x bios.bin normal/payload.lar
> lar -a newbios.bin payload.lar:normal/payload.lar

Why not have an option/compression specifier like "nocompress:"? We
could call it "copy:" and it would copy the individual members of the
old LAR to the new LAR. No code changes in lib/lar.c needed.

> Information preserved. Very little code need be added, since LAR
> parsing is already in the rom, you just need to cover the case of
> supporting LAR-in-LAR.  No new sub-LARs needed.

The piece of code which decides where to look for the next LAR member in
lib/lar.c is the most fragile piece of code in v3. I'd rather avoid any
changes to the code unless absolutely necessary, since I very well
remember how much time we lost each time we hit a bug in a corner case.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/