[coreboot] v3 patch rm elfboot

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 14:04:39 CET 2008

> I am talking about CONFIG_PAYLOAD_PREPARSE_ELF, not at all about
> CONFIG_PAYLOAD_NONE.
>
> > >  Please don't just remove this code. If you don't like to compile it
> in,
> > >  create a config option to disable it. (There is such a config option
> > >  already, so I really don't see the gain)
> >
> > I didn't see one.
>
> One might say CONFIG_PAYLOAD_PREPARSE_ELF implicates that the ELF
> parsing is ommitted in coreboot. I agree that that's misleading. Alle
> the ELF preparsing pretty much messed up the code to begin with.
>
> > >  Because with this patch it is no longer possible to unpack a lar.
> >
> > v3 doesn't unpack a lar.  lar unpacks them.
>
> C'mon. lar is part of v3, and lar can not unpack lar files without
> loosing information anymore. This is broken, and it breaks all of the v3
> concept. If people want a config option to choose a broken concept,
> well, go ahead. But please leave a method in for the rest of us who need
> to rely on a safe and reliable method.
>
> I don't think it is appropriate talking about dropping ELF support from
> coreboot as long as the lar handling is as broken as it currently is.
> Regardless whether that happens in our code under lib/ or under util/

I agree.  What I was expecting was something like "These are the issues with
your patch, but before it commits lar needs to be able to do X, Y and Z."

> > >  Or we forget about lars having the feature to be unpacked. Not sure
> that
> > >  its ever needed, except when you want to migrate a payload from one
> > >  image to another one.
> >
> > This is a lar problem, not a v3 problem.
>
> You keep repeating this like a mantra. Would you mind explaining the
> difference? I don't care what part is broken. I just don't think it is
> sane to drop working code while the broken code doing something similar
> is not fixed.

The difference is whether or not the patch I submitted is broken.  I only
patched v3.  I left lar alone in this patch.

I know that one use case is "I forgot where I put the ELF I packed into the
lar.", but a more interesting case to me is when you want to grab the
payload from someone else's lar.  In that case you're stuck if they chose
the PREPARSE_ELF option.

> Sorry.

No need to be.  I don't expect every patch I submit to be committed within
the hour :)

Myles