[coreboot] m57sli VGA failure

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Feb 18 01:49:41 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 01:12:23AM +0100, Ronald Hoogenboom wrote:
> So now I get in the 'initializing devices'-stage:
>
> rom address for PCI: 07:00.0 = f7000000
> copying VGA ROM Image from 0xf7000000 to 0xc0000, 0xda00 bytes
> entering emulator
> halt_sys: file /home/ronald/coreboot/src/devices/emulator/x86emu/ops.c,
> line 4387

Looks good.

> And there still isn't any VGA output.

:(

Can you try a few different graphics cards? My GeForce 6200 cheapo
card works well.

> Is this halt_sys supposed to be there?

Yes. The emulator halts after returning from the call to the VGA ROM
entry point. I sent a patch to add a friendlier message to explain
this at runtime but it got no feedback.

Changing the halt_sys message itself is not trivial because the
message is printed in a debugging function in the emulator generic
for all opcodes. My patch simply added a new message.

http://marc.info/?l=linuxbios&m=120173549921329

Torsten suggested to also check that the halt is indeed after return
from the VGA ROM and not within the ROM, which is a good idea, but
I don't have an implementation.

//Peter