[coreboot] LAR TODO

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Feb 16 22:23:47 CET 2008

On 16.02.2008 19:24, ron minnich wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2008 10:21 AM, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
>
>> ron minnich wrote:
>>
>>> A slightly simpler idea. When we unpack a LAR, we could unpack to a
>>> simpler format than ELF.
>>>
>> Thinking longer about this, if we detect a directory with all files
>> named "segmentXX" in it, we could indeed just unpack all those into a
>> new (sub)lar. This is similar to the idea of copying lar from one file
>> to the other. Or we join all the segmentXX files back into one single
>> file with entry point, segments etc. Then we could drop that information
>> out of lar, making lar itself less complex.
>>
> OK, this can work too. Stefan, you have an interesting viewpoint due
> to your work with IBM and Cell issues.
> I want to make sure we meet your needs :-)

As long as we know the exact needs, we can compare them to what v3
provides right now and fix the loose ends.

Stefan, please elaborate on your requirements. Do you want the ability
to unpack and repack without information loss or should unpacking
generate an ELF file which is bootable by other loaders as well?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/