[coreboot] LAR TODO

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Feb 16 22:21:02 CET 2008

On 16.02.2008 19:21, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> ron minnich wrote:
>> A slightly simpler idea. When we unpack a LAR, we could unpack to a
>> simpler format than ELF.
> Thinking longer about this, if we detect a directory with all files
> named "segmentXX" in it, we could indeed just unpack all those into a
> new (sub)lar. This is similar to the idea of copying lar from one file
> to the other. Or we join all the segmentXX files back into one single
> file with entry point, segments etc. Then we could drop that
> information out of lar, making lar itself less complex.

The strength of LAR is that no intermediate decompression during runtime
is needed. I want to preserve that strength because it saves us from
hacks where we have to guess a reasonable are where we can decompress
to. That temporary decompression area must not overlap with the areas
the segments of the ELF should be loaded to.

I hope the analysis in my other mail in this thread helps us to focus on
the details of the problem before we attempt a solution.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/