[coreboot] v3 patch rm elfboot

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 00:11:50 CET 2008

On Feb 15, 2008 2:59 PM, Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:

> So the use case is that you have a lar file, but don't have the ELF that you
> started with originally, and you want to put it into a different lar file?

yes. Because you have a board, and  a new (e.g.) boot block, which you
have been sent via email from a company that is supporting your
platform, and can not for whatever
reason recreate the payload. You may have even lost the source to it.
This happens.

> It might be easier to remove the other things in the lar instead, or do a
> lar copy from one lar to a new lar, which wouldn't lose the entry points.

Sure.

> Sorry to be dense, but it would help me know if it's even possible if I
> could understand the use case.  When we parse the ELF we lose information
> like section names, that we won't be able to recover.

We don't care about ELF section names. With the current setup, one can not
mkdir xyz
cd xyz
lar -x /tmp/file.lar
lar -c /tmp/file2.lar *

because the lar -x loses all the lar headers.

This is not a huge concern to me, but the concern has been raised, it
is not unrealistic, so it might be worth while to support it :-)

ron