[coreboot] patch: more path support

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Feb 14 22:20:42 CET 2008

Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>> @ in this case seperates the type of resources (pci) from the instance
>> of it (device, function).
>>
>> So @ is a seperator. Using _ will add ambiguity as it is NOT a
>> seperator. same problem for -.
>>
>> Stepan, will the OFW guys kill us if we allow ':' as well as @.

We are of course free to go away from the ePAPR flat device tree (we did
already to some extent).

Though I wonder whether we should really do this though for something as
cosmetic as the address seperator.
@ is "at", naturally describing a path or an address where something can
be found. I am biased, I used this way of writing paths for 10 years.

> If you want to stay close to original OF with your use of the device
> tree
> (I think you should, but it's entirely up to you), I can push for
> creating
> a new revision of the flat tree format that will include a decent
> solution
> to this problem once and for all.

I agree with Segher we should stay close to the "original". That's why
we used dtc for our device tree creation to begin with. It has a
recognition effect, making it easier for others to join in.
Also, at some point we're not writing the DTS manually anymore anyways,
so it doesn't really matter ;-))

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613