[coreboot] Free BIOS for personal computers and laptops - you will explode!

Torsten Duwe duwe at lst.de
Tue Feb 12 10:58:08 CET 2008

On Tuesday 12 February 2008, ron minnich wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2008 6:25 PM, Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Some (most?) hardware vendors say they only support MS Windows, the same
> > logic could be applied. An open-source firmware provides a lot more
> > assurance that the BIOS is free of malicious code.
>
> The arguments against open source bios are almost exactly the
> arguments I heard years ago against open source OS.
>
> FUD.

True. But I also recall to never attribute to malovelence which can be
explained by stupidity. That person must have been trained to answer this.

> > > For example, a laptop battery could explode if incorrect
> > > power management algorithms were applied.

And besides the FAA problem, conclusively batteries cannot be charged when the
main CPU is off -- cool design. Again, remember you are communicating with
level 1 support.

> coreboot has loaded tianocore.

Any pointers? Any hints?

As someone wrote (or quoted) on this list: EFI is an operating system still
looking for a boot loader.

	Torsten