[coreboot] m57sli VGA failure

Ronald Hoogenboom ronald at zonnet.nl
Mon Feb 11 22:25:38 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 15:29 -0500, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> > Do you also use the 'noapic' parameter (like suggested in the tutorial)?
>
> Well, here's the thing. On the PLCC version of the board as of kernel
> 2.6.22.1 (stock kernel.org release) I need noapic *only* with the proprietary
> bios, not with coreboot.

Strange. I use kernel 2.6.23.12 (from fedora fc7) and I don't need
noapic with proprietary bios, but after coreboot, it complains that
'8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC' and then goes into panic, saying
that 'IO-APIC + timer doesn't work' with suggestion to use the 'noapic'
parameter. With the 'noapic' it doesn't go into panic there, but other
troubles occur (with the SATA irq).

What VGA do you use? (if any...) Did you experience any trouble there?
What about the 'CONFIG_VGA_ROM_RUN' option? No chance for me as long as
this rom signature is wrong... or?

> > As a general rule, should the io, memory and irq mapping for the devices
> > be the same as when booted proprietary? If not, should this be reason
> > for concern and/or change?
>
> Good question. I'm sure others can answer it - I'm not sure. Seems like irq
> mapping would have to be correct, but I'm far from an export on this stuff.

Who can tell me? Anyone?
What files to modify to get the mappings the same -- without breaking
everything else?

Thanks,
Ronald.