[coreboot] m57sli VGA failure

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 23:39:50 CET 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 2:33 PM, Ronald Hoogenboom <ronald at zonnet.nl> wrote:

> -- During coreboot 'Initializing devices', the following is printed:
>
> rom address for PCI: 07:00.0 = f7000000
> Incorrect Expansion ROM Header Signature ffff

Hmm. that's bad. :-)

> -- The VGA card is on PCI bus 07 according to coreboot, but on bus 02
> according to 'lspci' when booted with proprietary bios.

That's ok. Bus ordering can be different on these newer systems.

> lspci: [virtual] Expansion ROM at fb000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
> coreb: [0x00f7000000 - 0x00f701ffff] size 0x00020000 gran 0x11 romem

I don't think this is an issue.

0xffff means it's not set up correctly and so you're just reading back
'floating bus'.

weird.

> Is the PCI bus number difference an issue here? I think it just means
> that the K8 HT Host bridge is initialized differently... Shouldn't be a
> problem(?).

Right.

> The expansion ROM signature ffff seems to me that the reported memory
> range is NOT where the ROM actually is. How can that be gotten wrong?
> PCI should be Plug and Play, not? Is the expansion ROM actually used for
> VGA console?

Yeah. I am not sure what could be wrong here. Usually this step works just fine.

You should try to DISABLE vga in bios, and try to get it to boot at
all, and then work on it from single user mode. That would be my debug
strategy anyway.

ron