[coreboot] patch: init gx cache earlier.

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 00:32:18 CET 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 3:26 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> Have you tried adding a "fillup" file to the lar which occupies the
> remaing unsused space? That should help a lot.

That's no longer the big time item. The big time item is now the
decompress, which seems to run
at 4 kilobytes per second.

> Besides that, having a boot time breakdown to find the worst offenders
> is an investment into the future. But how should we implement that?
> Maybe a Kconfig variable which adds TSC timestamps to all printk()
> calls? While rdtsc() is slow, it is not slow enough to actually show up
> in profiles if we use it together with printk.

we can just put the option in kconfig. we had this option in v2.

> I'm not sure about this patch. It increases stage0/stage1 size and seems
> to move northbridge init to a generic arch directory. How northbridge
> specific is geodelxinit.c? Is it a piece of northbridge code? We could
> link northbridge/amd/geodelx/geodelxinit.c into stage1 even if it is
> inside the northbridge dir.

The LX does not have the kind of clean breakdown of components we are
used to on other systems. I don't think you can say geodelxinit is
"northbridge specific" or not. I am happy to move it back to the
northbridge directory and just link it in.

We've got to run this in stage1 IMHO. We can't wait until stage2 phase
2 to turn on cache. It's just way too slow.

ron