[coreboot] goal for march summit

Rudolf Marek r.marek at assembler.cz
Sat Feb 2 14:19:39 CET 2008

Hi all,

> Great. Can we pick a socket AM2 board with these chips? Such boards are
> more readily available than socket 939 boards and usually they are also
> cheaper. A list of socket AM2 boards with K8T890/K8M890, availability
> and price in Germany follows:
>
> Asrock ALiveSATA2-GLAN, K8T890 (50 €)
> Asus M2V, K8T890 (63 €, difficult to get)
> Asus M2V-X (unavailable)
> Asus M2V-TVM, K8M890 (49 €, difficult to get)
> Asus M2V-MX, K8M890 (43 €)
> Asus M2V-MX SE, K8M890 (38 €)
> Foxconn K8M890M2MA-RS2H, K8M890 (40 €)
> Foxconn K8M890M2MB-RS2H, K8M890 (36 €)
> MSI K9VGM-V, K8M890 (38 €)

Hmm M2V seems to use VT3351 aka K8T890CF (not CE). I checked some lspci dumps I
found and this is bit different - perhaps I will need to contact VIA again and
get the docs. This can take few months :/

I would suggest to stick with the boards which PCI id is

00:00.0 0600: 1106:0238
00:00.1 0600: 1106:1238
00:00.2 0600: 1106:2238
00:00.3 0600: 1106:3238
00:00.4 0600: 1106:4238
00:00.5 0800: 1106:5238
00:00.7 0600: 1106:7238
00:01.0 0604: 1106:b188

(K8T890CE variant)

I was unable to find the M2V-MX lspci -xxx dump on the net. Imho the chipset is
called K8M890. But it seems that it is CE version + unichrome. It uses internal
AGP and unichrome card. The AGP bridge may need some programming. Lets try to
get some PCI dumps first. The southbridge is VT8237A it should be fairly similar
same to VT8237R. I know already about one difference, hopefully not more will
arise. Again, there is a chance to get the datasheets from VIA under NDA, but it
takes some time to get them - in my case slightly less time I guess - I have
already signed the papers and I think it can be extended to that chipsets too.

To sum it up, with VIA we may be able to get the datasheets, it just takes time.
 They also answered some of my technical questions and provided additional help
and asked their engineers. All just takes a lot of time to get the answers ;)

> That's really expensive.

It was "buy now" button.

> See above for my preferences. However, it would be great if we had a
> board supported in v2 before we try to port it to v3.

Yep.

Rudolf