[coreboot] v3 stage2 running from flash

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 09:14:45 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 3:02 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > Ron, this one is rather simple once you see the pitfalls.
> > - The MTRR setup functions in stage1 were never active in any target
> > because they killed CAR. That's why removing them was OK.
>
> But we ought to be able to use them after car is disabled, i.e. after
> initram is done, right? This is purely an academic question at this
> point.

I put early_mtrr_init() into stage1_phase3(), it didn't seem to make any
sort of difference in boot speed, but it didn't seem to break anything
either.

> > - C7 CAR does not enable any caching yet (neither in stage0 (for easier
> > debugging back then and also because of strange failures) nor in stage1)
> > unless I'm mistaken.
> >

> I am glad that things make sense. Now we just need to fix the C7 :-)

*phew* I was worried that was how v3 was always going to run. As for those
times Ron, stage0 takes <1 second, initram is ~5 seconds, and stage2 is a
loooong time. Just loading stage2/segment0 is around 30 seconds, but now we
know why. I'm hoping you guys can cook up a fix, I've tinkered with that
code a bunch of times tonight and all I've done is break stuff.

-Corey