[coreboot] v3 stage2 running from flash

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Dec 24 08:56:20 CET 2008

On 24.12.2008 08:46, ron minnich wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nevermind that question, I just (finally) found the code that handles that,
>> and that is how it works, the segment is loaded from the ROM right before
>> it's run. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing it that way instead
>> of copying the whole LARball once and walking on RAM?
>>

> You can't copy the larball unless you have a mbyte of shadow ram somewhere.
>
> Plus, a typical filo + coreboot is at around 64k -- you don't want to
> copy a whole Mbyte just to get at 64k.
>
> We need to solve your caching problem. I'm a bit concerned about the
> "move mtrrs out of stage1" patch. I understand your goals with it and
> it might even be right but ... I'm wondering if you are caching ROM. I
> may have erred in acking that patch. Sorry. It did not impact kontron
> (I tested it), and geode has no mtrr's, so it was hard for me to see
> any negative impact. Myles, you have any thoughts here?

Ron, this one is rather simple once you see the pitfalls.
- The MTRR setup functions in stage1 were never active in any target
because they killed CAR. That's why removing them was OK.
- C7 CAR does not enable any caching yet (neither in stage0 (for easier
debugging back then and also because of strange failures) nor in stage1)
unless I'm mistaken.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--