[coreboot] v3 stage2 running from flash

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 06:13:56 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > John Kollasch just pointed out to me that it looks like the reason the
> cn700
> > is booting so slowly (>15min) could be that it's running out of flash.
> I've
> > also noticed this:
> >
> > LAR: Attempting to open 'normal/stage2/segment0'.
> > LAR: Start 0xfff00000 len 0x100000
> > LAR: seen member normal/option_table at 0xfff00000, size 932
> > LAR: seen member normal/initram/segment0 at 0xfff00400, size 6216
> > LAR: seen member normal/stage2/segment0 at 0xfff01ca0, size 1
> >
> > With a 1MB flash part, so 0xfff00000 is the ROM. Is this how it's
> supposed
> > to work, and if not, how do we fix it?
> >

> I think the problem is you are not caching flash or anything else for
> that matter.

What should I be doing where? I can enable, disable, or make the shadow ram
dance like a monkey (yeah, Via hardware's got some odd features), but it
makes no real difference in the boot speed.

> I wonder if moving mtrr out of stage0 was the right move?

The only other option AFAIK is to go back to ROMCC, CAR uses those MTRRs and
enabling them breaks CAR.

> initram has to run from flash. It is execute in place. Stage2 is
> copied to dram.

Is the whole flash copied to dram once, or are the segments copied as their
needed? LAR is saying it's opening the segments directly from flash
(0xfff00000).

Thanks,
Corey